- Power Convenience Package included on regular and extended cab 1LT models
- Front bucket seats replace 60/40 split-bench seat on 2LT models
- Automatic locking rear differential is now included on 2LT and 3LT models, and 1LT 4x4 models
- Vortec 5.3L V-8 SFI engine, 3.42 ratio rear axle, 5500 lb. GVWR and 145-amp alternator are no longer available on 1LT extended and crew cab models
- Five-speed manual transmission is no longer offered on LT models
- Trailering equipment included on 1LT and 2LT 4x4 models, and is not available on 3LT models
- Revised rear-seat head restraints
For 2012, Chevrolet Colorado continues to offer proven Chevy Truck capability with EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of up to 25 mpg.
Colorado can be configured to meet almost any need, work or play. It is available with regular, extended or crew cabs, in either two- for four-wheel drive. All Colorado models include the safety of StabiliTrak electronic stability control and head-curtain side-impact air bags.
In addition to Colorado’s standard Vortec 2.9L four-cylinder engine, Colorado also offers a Vortec 3.7L I-5 engine with 242 horsepower and EPA-estimated highway fuel economy of up to 23 mpg. For those seeking a midsize truck with big-truck capability, an available Vortec 5.3L V-8 engine enables a towing capacity of up to 6,000 pounds, and zero-to-60 performance of less than seven seconds.
For additional versatility, extended and crew cab models are available with the Z71 off-road suspension or the sport-tuned ZQ8 suspension package.
The Z71 offers distinctive appearance cues to match its unique suspension, which includes 17-inch chrome-clad wheels and off-road tires.
The ZQ8 sport suspension gives the Colorado sports car-like handling attributes, as well as the lowered appearance of tuner vehicles. It features specific suspension tuning, 18-inch aluminum wheels and performance tires in addition to the standard 5.3L V-8 engine.
Coloradodesign and capability
- Regular and extended cabmodelshave a 6-foot 1-inch (1.85 m) pickup bed with taller sides than many competitors, providing best-in-class volume for deeper storage and higher overall payload.
- Crew cab bed lengthsare 5-foot 1-inch (1.55 m). Both beds offer two-tier cargo loading and tailgates that are both lockable and easily removable. The crew cab box offers a standard lock.
- Colorado’s tailgate opens fully to almost 90 degrees, but can be set at a 55-degree opening. That puts the tailgate edge at the same height as the top of the rear wheel wells within the cargo box, creating a sturdy, flat platform to conveniently transport longer items or 4-foot by 8-foot (1.2-meter by 2.4-meter) panels.
- The Colorado ZQ8 sport suspensionride height is “slammed” – it is lower than the standard Z85 suspension by approximately one inch (25 mm). Color-keyed front and rear bumpers, fascia grille and grille bar are part of the ZQ8’s appearance, with the grille accented with a chrome surround.
- Coloradointerior – standard and available features
- Coloradoseats up to sixdepending on the configuration.
- Colorado’s instrument panelhas large, easy-to-read analog gauges, with switches and controls designed for easy operation with gloves.
- Crew cab models offer a 60/40-split/foldingrear seat capable of accommodating three adults.
- Extended cab versions have four doors, and its two folding rear seats face forward.
- Standard equipment includesair conditioning, AM/FM stereo and SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three free months of service (except Work Truck), driver information center, front and rear floor mats, adjustable steering wheel, auxiliary power outlet, vehicle anti-theft system, intermittent wipers, air conditioning, cruise control and Bluetooth connectivity for certain phones.
- Available equipment includesaudio system with CD player with MP3 playback, remote keyless entry, self-dimming inside rearview mirror power, tinted glass, heated leather-appointed seating, rear sliding window and power-operated outside rearview mirrors.
Chassis and suspension
Colorado is equipped with many standard features designed to provide refined ride-and-handling characteristics.
- Hydraulically assistedrack-and-pinion steering.
- StabiliTrakelectronic stability control system helps keep the vehicle on its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver.
- Large front disc brakeswith twin-piston calipers.
- Independent suspensionwith coil-over front shocks on 2WD models (except Z71 and V-8); front torsion bars on all 4WD models, as well as 2WD Z71 models and 2WD with the V-8 and Z85 suspension.
- Specifically tuned powertrainand body mounts that help reduce interior noise and vibration.
- Three suspension choices: the Z85 suspension standard on 2WD or 4WD models, the Z71 off-road suspension, also available in 2WD and 4WD – with 17-inch wheels – and the ZQ8 sport suspension.
Three efficient, proven powertrains
- The standard enginein all but Z71-equipped crew cabs is a 2.9L DOHC four-cylinder with continuously variable valve timing (VVT) that delivers 185 horsepower (138 kW) and 190 lb.-ft. of torque (258 Nm).
- Available in all models– and standard in the crew cab with 4WD – is a 3.7L DOHC five-cylinder with VVT rated at 242 horsepower (180 kW) and 242 lb.-ft. of torque (328 Nm).
- The available 5.3L V-8(except 1WT and 1LT extended and crew cab models) is based on GM’s small-block V-8 architecture, delivering exceptional power and torque that is rare for the segment. Horsepower is rated at 300 (224 kW)* and torque is 320 lb.-ft. (434 Nm).
- An Aisin five-speed manualtransmission is standard with the four-cylinder engine (not available on crew cab and 1LT models).
- A Hydra-Matic 4L60 electronically controlled four-speedautomatic transmission is standard with the five-cylinder engine and V-8; and available with the four-cylinder (standard with crew cab models).
- Four-wheel-drivesystem provides added confidence and safety for the driver. The dash-mounted electronic “shift-on-the-fly” system allows the driver to move from rear- to four-wheel drive at any speed when road conditions demand a change.
- A locking rear differentialis available on 2WD models and 1WT 4WD models (included on 2LT and 3LT and 1LT 4 x 4 models).
- Three rear-end gear ratiosare available for V-8 models: 3.42:1 (except 1LT extended and crew cab models), 3.73:1 and 4.10:1. A 3.73 rear axle is standard on four- and five-cylinder models.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Colorado is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, and protect vehicle occupants during and after a crash.
- Standard driver and passenger frontal and head curtain side-impact air bagswith a passenger on-off switch.
- StabiliTrakelectronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Four-wheel anti-lock brake systemprovides directional stability in the event of an emergency braking maneuver. Standard traction control helps limit wheel sleep when accelerating on slippery surfaces such as water, ice or a gravel road.
- Vehicle anti-theft systemhelps thwartwould-be car thieves by sounding an alarm if the vehicle is tampered with.
- Daytime Running Lampsmake the vehicle more visible to other motorists and pedestrians.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)child seat attachment system is included in all second-row seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system,standard on all models
Colorado is the only model in its segment to provide OnStar, which uses GPS and cellular technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading providerof in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Services includeremote door unlock, stolen vehicle tracking, remote ignition block, roadside assistance, crisis assist, vehicle diagnostics and hands-free calling.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connectionsservice with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Colorado models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop.