The fifth-generation Nissan GT-R supercar, which made its North American debut in July 2008, returns less than a year later with an enhanced 2010 model featuring a number of small yet important updates – including five additional horsepower, a revised suspension, revised wheel finishes and standard front seat-mounted and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags.
2010 Nissan GT-R
The fifth-generation Nissan GT-R supercar, which made its North American debut in July 2008, returns less than a year later with an enhanced 2010 model featuring a number of small yet important updates – including five additional horsepower, a revised suspension, revised wheel finishes and standard front seat-mounted and roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags. These changes come on a car that won near universal acclaim in its rookie year, including being named Motor Trend “2009 Car of the Year,” Automobile magazine’s 2009 “Automobile of the Year” and winning Kelly Blue Book’s “2009 Best Resale Value Award.”
For 2010, the horsepower rating of the GT-R’s 3.8-liter twin turbo V6 engine has been increased to 485 hp (from 480 hp) and the car’s high-performance 6-speed dual-clutch transmission receives new Transmission Control Module (TCM) programming designed to optimize clutch engagement for improved drivability and improve vehicle acceleration with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) on (activated). In addition, the braking system has been updated with more rigid brake lines for improved durability and the brake calipers now carry both the Brembo and Nissan logos. The GT-R’s already advanced suspension has been retuned with redesigned Bilstein® shocks with a new valve body design and revised spring and damper rates.
The base GT-R model is now equipped with slightly darker high-luster smoke finish for the 20-inch RAYS forged aluminum-alloy wheels, while a new near-black metallic wheel finish is standard on the Premium model (the smoke wheel finish comes with the Cold Package). For 2010, one new color – Pearl White – is offered and the Super Silver exterior color has been enhanced and now includes a polished front bumper.
The 2010 Nissan GT-R is built on an exclusive Premium Midship platform, which enables the use of the world’s first independent rear transaxle ATTESA E-TS all-wheel drive system. This system places the transmission, transfer case and final drive at the rear of the vehicle, optimizing weight distribution and maximizing handling capability.
Total vehicle adjustability is provided by a “set-up switch” located in the center of the instrument panel, enabling the driver to adjust transmission shifts, shock absorbers and the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC-R) among three settings – Normal, Special or “R,” for ultimate handling.
The GT-R suspension is a special Bilstein DampTronic system, and the braking system consists of Brembo full-floating drilled rotors, low steel high stiffness brake pads and Brembo monoblock six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers. Tires are nitrogen-filled high-performance summer run flat or optional high-performance all-season tires, on exclusive GT-R 20-inch wheels. The compound of the Dunlop summer tires has been revised for 2010.
The Nissan GT-R’s functional styling utilizes advanced aerodynamics, offering a low coefficient of drag of 0.27, while achieving high front and rear downforce. GT-R’s hybrid body construction combines steel, carbon fiber and die-cast aluminum. Styling cues include front fender “aero-blades” and vents, an aggressive front end design with a large hood bulge and single central air intake, and “super wide beam” headlights.
GT-R’s four-passenger cabin features a sloping “aero blade canopy” roofline and curved C- pillar “sword edge,” as well as GT-R’s hallmark four-ring taillights, functional rear carbon fiber underbody diffuser, rear spoiler and large, integrated quad exhaust tips.
GT-R’s interior balances functionality with a sense of ease and comfort. It features sculpted performance bucket seats for an optimal driving position, a cockpit-style instrument panel with a large center-mounted tachometer and multi-function display – which includes mechanical and driving information, as well as an on-board driving recorder. Premium models include a specially designed 11-speaker Bose® sound system with speakers mounted in rigid aluminum die cast panels, which provides sound quality suitable for a supercar.
The 2010 Nissan GT-R is available through nearly 700 official “GT-R certified” Nissan dealers across the United States. The names and locations of local GT-R Certified Nissan dealers are available to consumers on NissanUSA.com.
Highlights of the 2010 Nissan GT-R include:
- Purposeful, cutting-edge styling with a Cd of 0.27, while achieving high front and rear downforce
- Hybrid body construction of steel, die-cast aluminum and carbon fiber
- GT-R’s aggressive styling evokes the lines of a well-trained athlete, combining strong character lines with smooth and solid areas
- Front fenders express power and stability, “aero-blades” on fenders’ leading edges provide optimum air flow around the tires and along the body; vents in the fenders’ trailing edges assists in providing front downforce and optimization of side air flow
- Aggressive front end styling, large hood bulge and single central air intake for undisturbed air flow for power and cooling
- “Super wide beam” headlights featuring three additional sub-reflectors (compared to conventional lights) to give a wide illumination spread
- Four-passenger cabin with sloping “aero blade canopy” roofline and curved C-pillar “sword edge,” which facilitate air flow around the rear of the vehicle
- GT-R hallmark four-ring taillights; air flow above and below the vehicle is managed by a functional carbon fiber underbody diffuser, rear spoiler and large, integrated quad exhaust tips
- Durable chip-resistant paint with “double clear coat” process; available seven-coat Super Silver paint hand-polished by craftsmen
- Five available exterior colors: Solid Red, Pearl White (new for 2010), Black Obsidian, Gun Metallic and Super Silver
Platform, Engine and Driveline
- Advanced Premium Midship platform, enabling the use of a world’s first independent rear transaxle all-wheel drive system, which places the transmission, transfer case and final drive at the rear of the vehicle, without traditional torque tubes, allowing the suspension to operate completely independently
- Exclusive hand-assembled twin-turbo VR38DETT 3.8-liter V6 engine
- 485 horsepower @ 6,400 rpm, 434 lb-ft of torque @ 3,200; LEV2/ULEV emission vehicle rating
- Plasma-sprayed bores for reduced friction, lighter weight, enhanced cooling, power output and fuel efficiency
- Symmetrical independent intake and exhaust manifold system featuring twin IHI turbochargers
- Secondary air management system for improved cold-start emissions performance
- Thermostatically-controlled oil cooling system; oil scavenger pump to maintain oil flowing to the turbochargers; lateral wet and dry sump oiling system
- All-new paddle-shifted sequential six-speed dual clutch transmission; manual and automatic modes
- Rear transaxle features separate clutches for the odd (1,3,5) and even (2,4,6) gears; sequential shifting; gear pre-selection for immediate shifts
- Hill Start Assist for easy starts on an uphill incline
- Electronically-controlled ATTESA E-TS all-wheel-drive system specifically developed for GT-R
- Rear-drive bias, up to 50 percent of torque can be transmitted to the front wheels when needed, torque split continuously variable depending on speed, lateral and transverse acceleration, steering angles, tire slip, road surface and yaw rate
- GT-R specific yaw-rate feedback control, measuring differences between the target yaw rate calculated from steering angle, actual yaw rate detected by the yaw-rate sensor and G sensor to adjust torque bias
Suspension and Braking
- Special “set-up switch” located in the center of the instrument panel; adjusts transmission shifts, shock absorbers and the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC-R), three settings – Normal, Special or “R,” for ultimate handling
- 4-wheel independent suspension mounted to six-point front and rear subframes
- GT-R specific adjustable Bilstein DampTronic suspension system utilizes multiple vehicle information systems to provide appropriate damping forces for all situations and a high level of control for a variety of driving situations
- 15-inch Brembo full-floating cross-drilled two-piece rotors, low steel high stiffness brake pads, radial-mounted Brembo monoblock six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, which in combination minimize fade and provide intense stopping performance
- GT-R-specific lightweight forged 20-inch wheels, with special knurling to assist with securing the tires during hard acceleration or braking; new exterior finishes for 2010
- Nitrogen-filled Dunlop (GT-R) or Bridgestone (GT-R Premium) high-performance summer run-flat tires - 255/40ZRF20 front, 285/35ZRF20 rear; all-season Dunlop tires available
- Interior designed to balance functionality and comfort
- Usable passenger and luggage space – four passenger seating and trunk capacity of two golf bags or suitcases
- Optimal driving position provided by rear transaxle layout, with flat floor and narrow center console
- Driver-surrounding instrument panel, with all meters and multi-function meter at a uniform height to minimize the driver’s head movement
- Large center-mounted tachometer, with gear display on its upper right, as well as the easy-to-read graphics of the multi-function display, give the driver instant detailed information
- Interior design cues include “dial plate” meter-surround design that evokes the idea of engaged gears, large, metallic-framed center console featuring ergonomically designed shift lever and a red “engine start” button
- Sculpted performance bucket seats
- Soft pads located on the dash panels in front of the passenger and on both doors to give an extra level of comfort
- A video game-inspired multi-function display with eleven pages of mechanical and driving information available, including acceleration, brake pedal pressure, steering angle and a recording function with playback
- Navigation system featuring easy-to-use touch pad, as well as traditional navigation switches; screen interface also features enriched entertainment system with a Music Box Hard Drive, CD player controls and Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
- Available specially designed 11-speaker Bose® audio system, two forward-facing woofers in rear center armrest area; speakers mounted in rigid aluminum die cast panels
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System for driver and front passenger
- Standard front seat-mounted side impact supplemental air bags for driver and front passenger
- Standard roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags for front seat occupant head protection
- Front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters and tension reducers
- Three-point ELR/ALR rear seat belts
- Vehicle assembly in Tochigi, Japan; engines hand-assembled in Yokohama, Japan
- Available in two models: GT-R and GT-R Premium