BMW has just released full details and photos on the updated versions of its best-selling tourer, the R 1200 RT, which now features a new boxer engine with much more torque, new DOHC cylinder heads, redesigned cockpit with additional visor, new shift units, new hydraulic reservoir and handlebar separately mounted, as well as a new audio system.
The new engine with two overhead camshafts per cylinder delivers much more torque, traction, pulling force, and acceleration. The maximum output remaining at 81 kW (110 hp) at 7,750 rpm. Maximum torque increased to 120 Nm (88 lb-ft) at 6,000 rpm, and an increase in maximum engine speed from 8,000 to 8,500 rpm.
New colors for the 2010 BMW R 1200 RT are Polar metallic, Ostra Grey metallic matt, Thunder Grey metallic, multi-color paintwork in conjunction with Thunder Grey metallic base color.
BMW R 1200 RT
Overview of the main features of the new R 1200 RT:
· New, even more dynamic engine with two overhead camshafts per cylinder.
· Maximum torque increased to 120 Nm (88 lb-ft) at 6,000 rpm, maximum output remaining at 81 kW (110 hp) at 7,750 rpm.
· Increase in maximum engine speed from 8,000 to 8,500 rpm, with an even broader useful range of engine speed.
· Significantly improved torque, traction, pulling force, and acceleration.
· Even more spontaneous and direct response with optimum dosage of power and significantly improved load change behaviour.
· Torque curve even smoother and more homogeneous.
· Cylinder head covers now with two instead of four fastening bolts and in new, even more dynamic design.
· Electronically controlled exhaust flap for superior and powerful sound.
· ESA II Electronic Suspension Adjustment with damping, spring base and now also spring rate adjustable at the touch of a button.
· BMW Motorrad Integral ABS featured as standard in the partly integrated version.
· Fairing in new design with protection from wind and weather improved once again.
· Re-designed cockpit with visor.
· New control units and hydraulic reservoir.
· Electronically controlled windshield with optimised aeroacoustics and improved transparency.
· New audio system with controllable interface for a USB/MP3 and iPod, operated through the Multi-Controller.
· Adjustable footshift lever.
· Hard-shell cases (each with a capacity of 32 litres) featured as standard, with accurately fitting four-point lock system and cover finished in body colour.
· Tank railing for conveniently fastening accessories.
· New colours for the R 1200 RT: Polar metallic, Ostra Grey metallic matt, Thunder Grey metallic, multi-colour paintwork in conjunction with Thunder Grey metallic base colour.
· Extended range of optional extras and special equipment tailored to the R 1200 RT, naturally in top BMW quality.